Ladies and gentlemen, please meet the main player of this recipe, the YACON! This rhizome kind of root originates from Peru, but all eco friendly people in the house…don’t worry! I recently got it at my Belgian organic farmer’s shop, so I guess it can be easily grown everywhere in the world.
It has high amounts of Vit C and is a real show off in levels of FOS(fruit-oligosaccharides). This is a prebiotic fiber that feeds the healthy gut bacteria. Healthy guts result in frequent normal stool and an overall increased health.
It is low in calories and makes a good replacement for regular potatoes, which are pretty much fiberless and augment the bloodsugarlevel too much. Especially diabetic or prediabetic people benefit a lot from adding this healthy alternative carbsource to their diet. Low glycemic index, low fructose amount and still very satiating, so also great to lose weight!
Let’s get down to business and give you one possible recipe with this versatile vegetable.PrintDelicious stir fry with Yacon and bok choyPrep Time10 minsCook Time15 minsTotal Time25 mins
Yacon is a great source of healthy carbs and fibers. I personally love the combination with the eggplant and coconutmilk. Bok choy (paksoi) is good source of magnesium, calcium, B6 and Vit C.
I made the dish together with my daughter, who loves pressing cloves of garlic therefore we had 3 cloves in this dish. It turned out perfect, but if you suffer from heart burn or too much heat in the body, moderate with the garlic and Thai curry. Course: Lunch, Main CourseCuisine: Asian, vegan, vegetarianKeyword: yaconServings: 4Calories: 350 kcalAuthor: Valérie PasIngredients
- 1 or 1/2 bok choy organic
- 1 eggplant
- 3 Yacon
- 1 pack smoked tofu
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk extra virgin
- 2 tsp Thai curry home made(check recipe)
- 1 tbsp Shoyu or salt
- fish sauce optional
- 2 tbsp mushroom sauce or to taste
- black pepper
- handful fresh cilantro
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 1 zucchini
- Prepare the veggies, by washing and cutting them in cubes. The yacon and bok ahoy cut in slices. Tofu in cubes.
- Heat some oil in a wok together with the Thai curry, garlic, lemon grass and onion. Fry until glazed and the smell of the herbs reach your nose!
- Add the eggplant, zucchini cubes and yacon slices. Make sure the herbs are mixed through the vegetables.
- Add the mushroomsauce, shoe and optional fishsauce(ansjovy). Stir until all becomes half tender.
- Then add the tofu and the coconutmilk. I like to save the most liquid part of the milk for in case the curry becomes too dry. Then add a bit at the end. You can also use the watery part of the can for a smoothy, soup or drink it like that.
- Maybe cover with a lit until the eggplant is tender.
- Dazzle the fresh cilantro and black pepper over the lot and mix through. Ready to serve!
I hope you like this meal. If you are in need of some more inspiration in the kitchen, maybe an Ayurvedic cooking workshop is the thing for you. You can contact me for the coming workshops, or organise one at your house.
Get in touch for more details.
Please, let me know in a comment if you came up with other ways of preparing yacon!
Source: De Voedingswijzer, Juglen Zwaan, uitgeverij Succesboeken.nl